Labels

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Merging

Sometimes it's incredible to me how clearly God makes Himself evident in all aspects of our lives. Has that ever happened to you? There are times in my life when I feel discouraged, frustrated and overwhelmed, as I'm sure is the case with the rest of humanity. The joy of being a follower of Christ is that in the midst of the events of life, God reveals that He is at work in your life, that He hasn't forgotten you--He remains faithful and His promises remain true.

Over the past months, little annoyances at work have piled and mounded into weeks of frustration. They make me question the work I am doing, the reasoning behind my transfer, and if I'm really "the man for the job". Am I really capable of helping shape this branch into all that it can be? It's a daunting task. Particularly when the branch has years of built up neglect in accountability and responsibility. I often have felt that I am swimming against the current.

This position is challenging and stretching me. Some of my weakest characteristics must be my strongest. I don't like to point out people's errors. I don't enjoy being "the bad guy". I'd rather not be the one to lead. But in my position, I have no option. It's either lead by setting high expectations or be stagnant and unchanging.

However, this proves difficult for me. I don't enjoy being negative. I don't like to be frustrated, nor do I naturally seek opportunities to tell people they're wrong. Yet this is what is in front of me. This is the task at hand. I have found myself wondering: can my frustrations and moments of anger be justified? Is it really possible that it is appropriate for me to have a critical and judgmental attitude in my work?

I've recently been reading a wonderful book that is helping me gain perspective and understanding of God's personality. Have you ever wondered how it is that God - who, I remind you, is perfect - can get angry? Isn't anger a sin? When the Bible is considered as a whole and the character of God is properly understood, we realize that anger is in fact righteous, when appropriately applied. Wasn't it righteous for God to be angered by Adam and Eve's choice to rebel? Wasn't it righteous for God to destroy all but the one righteous man and his family and all but pairs of animals in a flood? Anger and frustration can be justified when the time is right.

Today my recent readings, my prayers and my frustrations merged into an understanding. Through one of my bosses, God revealed His truth to me. When my intentions for the branch are honest and pure, when I desire nothing but for the branch to thrive and grow, am I not justified in my frustrations when errors occur, when employees fail or if communication is lacking?

Now is not the time to lower expectations, to give up on improvement and growth. As it says in Hebrews "No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening - it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way." (12:11)

I have been asked to do a job. I will do my best to accomplish the task at hand. Though it may be contrary to my natural disposition, though I may get discouraged, though others may not enjoy the tough realities I reveal, I must remain faithful in my work.

Although this hit home for me in my work, I find this to be true of all situations in life. When something isn't fun, doesn't always bring us joy or challenges who we are, it does not mean it is a reason to give up or quit trying. If our ultimate intention is set in honoring God and loving our neighbor, the bumps along the way may hurt, but in the end they will only help us and others grow. So whatever the challenges may be that you face today, no matter how major or minor, may you be encouraged in knowing that it's a refiner's fire. And maybe your frustrations are justified and that God is right there beside you, understanding your disappointments. May you find comfort in His Truth.

1 comment:

  1. :) Love this post. hit home, thanks for sharing. And thank you for your letter. It was greatly needed and enjoyed. I miss youuuu and coming home to you doing something mind-blowingly domestic. Obviously causing me to wish I was that awesome... ahhhh I misss youuu

    ReplyDelete