Labels

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Heavier Things

I don't post many political opinion pieces here. Or at least I don't think I do. Let's just say I don't post nearly as many political thoughts as I actually have. Almost every day I'm thinking about some political idea, even if it's in passing. Yeah, I know, I've spared you a lot.

But today an analogy hit me like a ton of bricks. One that I have to share. The beginning of its formation occurred at work, as I discussed politics with two of my coworkers. I know... I broke a rule. No politics at work. But we were three young people, talking about ideas and it was fun! Really fun.

Here's my beef with the two major political parties in the USA:


The Republicans think that the government is the modern Ten Commandments. In their eyes, the government's role is to instill moral law. The moral law of a specific religion. Although the laws of the Ten Commandments are best for all men (in my Christian opinion), they are specific to a certain religion. A nation consisting of different religious opinions cannot be governed by the law of one religion. Here's where separation of church and state comes in. If government runs without this separation, people will rebel and refuse to follow the law of the land.


The Democrats think that the government is God. Or Allah, or Buddha, or whatever religion applies. Political correctness is key here, people! Democrats think that the government is supposed to be all things to all people - all knowing, all provisional, all everything. What is "mine" is actually the government's. What is "mine" is given to me by the government, when the system deems appropriate.

My problem with these two parties should be obvious - both feel they should be playing a religious role, whether they admit to it or not. No thank you. That is my own private life and I'd rather you not get involved. You see, moral law has existed from the beginning of time. It just is. It is inherent in the universe. Regardless of ones religious beliefs, all men know it exists.

Anyways, just my thoughts. Agree to disagree if necessary. I'm happy if you agree and respect you if you don't. Maybe this will be thought provoking to you too, regardless of your opinion.

Oh, and happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/american-exceptionalisms/

    This is a fantastic article.

    ReplyDelete