Labels

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

An Enigma

At least that's what a dear friend has called me. I think maybe I'm just weird.

Today I spent half of the day out of the office, in our 500,000 square foot, central stocking warehouse. You read that correctly, half a million square feet of steel and processing. It's invigorating. I love it. It's true... steel is now in me. Have I ever mentioned I am passionate about my job and the company I work for? Well, let it be known - I am.

I ambled through the aisles in my hard hat, admiring the high towers of steel racks. I stopped to watch the plate laser at work, the tube laser cutting intricate designs in steel tubing, the precision saw cutting a 14" round of 316 stainless steel. This stuff is so cool. Whether you realize it or not, it's what makes your world go round. The world is built on steel.

Then I came home to a goodbye party for a friend who is also moving out of Michigan. It was filled with delicious food, tetherball, lots of laughter and silly, rambunctious children.

I returned home early to continue the packing procedure. I rushed around my room, stuffing things here and there. I grabbed the closest bag to stuff my steel toed boots into. As soon as I placed the boots in the bag, I realized what an oxymoron my life can be. But I love it that way. I truly do.


1 comment: